FOR THE LOVE OF BOYS


FOR LOVE THE LOVE OF BOYS



I am starting a series aimed at highlighting discriminatory practices against women in our society and this is the first short story in the series. Please let me know your thoughts and experiences in the comments section.
Enjoy.


Adaeze sighed inwardly, what was this meeting all about she thought.
Her mother-in-law had been a bit cool towards her, when she arrived two days earlier and her mood had not improved.
And now she had summoned a meeting.
Everybody was already seated when Adaeze entered the parlour including her husband. Her three brothers-in-law who moved out of their house about six months ago were present.
Her sister-in-law was also present.
The youngest of her husband's sibling was asked to say an opening prayer after which her mother in law began to speak.
"Adaeze Nwam" she began, "only a bad mother spares the rod knowing she will spoil the child".
"I will not beat around the bush, 3 days ago as is my usual practice before setting out on any journey I went to meet my pastor for prayers and he made the revelations which has compelled me to convene this meeting".
So she was the subject of the meeting, by now Adaeze was totally confused and began to wonder whatever was going to come next.
"My pastor told me that you are a witch to put it in plain language and as long as my son remains with you he will not know any progress". At this point Adaeze's heart began to beat faster, "I am a fair woman", her mother-in-law continued and said "what we will do is to have you go to the Redeemed of the Lord Prayer Camp for deliverance".
A confused Adaeze could only "ask for what"? She turned to look at her husband and she did not recognize who she saw staring back.
He looked away, and her heart beat faster, she was lost for words.
Chike, she began, she did not know how to frame her question, “do you believe this”? She asked.
Her lips felt dry suddenly, “and do you support the decision that I should go to the Redeemed of the Lord Prayer Camp for deliverance”?
Her husband was about to answer but her mother-in-law motioned him to keep quiet.

“Adaeze” she called out three times, “how many times have I called your name”?
My pastor cannot lie but since you want to pretend let me spell it out for you.
Pastor Churchhill said you have a spiritual husband who has vowed not to allow you have a male child and that is why you have given my Chike nothing but girls.
And what is worse you have refused to do anything about it. Instead you stubbornly go about saying it is the man who determines the sex of the baby”.
Adaeze wanted to open her mouth to reply, then she realized that her mouth was open only no words were coming out. She swallowed saliva preparatory to saying something, anything.
Then her husband spoke, “you will go Ada”.

Comments

Popular Posts